Congratulations! You made a big decision. Moving to an island state is exciting, invigorating, and even a little bit challenging with all the logistics that are involved.
The first step, of course, is to select the island that is right for you and for your lifestyle. Each one of the Hawaiian Islands has its own flavor and very distinct character. Is surfing high on your list and you want to be close to the hustle and bustle of a metropolitan city? Are you a friend of nature and enjoy quiet, rural surroundings with flourishing gardens? Do you enjoy high-end arts, celebrity sightings, and a good mix of resort and rural life? Or how about cycling, hiking, exploring volcanoes, world-class snorkeling together with a laid-back lifestyle on an island full of amazing contrasts? Hawaii has many facets, find the one that resonates with you!
Learn more about the individual islands here: gohawaii.com
I am located on the Island of Hawaii, nicknamed the Big Island. It is the youngest and also the largest of all the islands and perhaps the most diverse with 11 climate zones, tropical beaches, rainforests, endless pastures, and a vibrant cultural life with an ever-emerging culinary world.
Contact me to learn more about what it is like to live here.
For those who are ready to move, here are some helpful resources to assist you in a smooth and safe transition.
MOVING TO HAWAII:
MOVING YOUR CHILDREN:
HAWAII STATE SCHOOL FINDER:
BRINGING YOUR PET:
MOVING YOUR CAR:
- Matson (interisland and mainland)
- Royal Hawaiian Movers
- Young Brothers (interisland)
- Hawaii Car Transport
EVENTS AND ACTIVITIES:
- Kona Kohala Chamber of Commerce
- Visitors’ information
- 101 things to do on the Big Island
- Hawaii Revealed, Resorts
- Kona Web
- Hawaii Guide
VOLCANOES AND VOG:
- Hawaii Volcanoes National Park
- General Information about Hawaii Shield Volcanos
- VOG, Wikipedia General Information
- Volcanic and Seismic Hazards on the Island of Hawaii
- Map of Recent Volcanic Activity
- Control of Coqui Frogs in Hawaii
- Big Island Invasive Species Committee
- Dept. of Agriculture – Coqui Frog Brochure
- Green Scaping – Greener, Healthier Yard (Brochure)
- Mold, Moisture & Your Home (Brochure)
- Protect Your Family from Lead (Brochure)
- HUD Lead Based Paint
- EPA on Lead